We’re approaching three years since GDPR became law in Ireland. Here’s 5 reasons to review your school’s data protection policies in light of the significant changes seen since then.
In reviewing your GDPR Policies you should consider:
- Covid-19 and the advent of remote teaching and learning and the implications for GDPR.
- Brexit – and the UK companies you use to process data e.g. Cat 4 Assessments and ensuring this is reflected in your policies and with appropriate agreements.
- New Technologies – you may have introduced a new information management system (VS Ware / Cloudschool / Compass) or a new email / cloud system (Google Classroom / Microsoft 365) and this should be properly risk assessed and included in your policies.
- Turnover of Staff – Like many schools, turnover is a natural part of employment but that shouldn’t impact the school’s ability to maintain compliance.
- Appointment of new posts – these key records keepers should be trained in the correct use of data.